Sunday, May 4, 2008

small waves

We set up this blog mainly for anyone to view and enjoy our first swr surf road trip beginning June 1st and ending up at Daphne Linker's graduation party in San Luis Obispo on June 15th.  

We invite all friends and family to join us on any part of our trip, so here's the itinerary: 

June 1st and 2nd: Camping at New Brighton State Park (Camp site #2 reserved), just below Capitola and Santa Cruz - cliffs right on top the great Pacific Ocean.  

June 3rd: Staying at Daphne's (Mayor Central Coast Chapter CCC)house in San Luis Obispo - also Daphne's birthday.

June 4th and 5th: Refugio State Beach (Camp site #2 reserved), on grass and on beach with palm trees - join us for Refugio Daquiris with funny umbrellas.

June 6th: Ventura surfing California Street / not sure of where were staying - maybe Craigerman's or Tim Coonan's.

June 7th and 8th: My Birthday (June 8th) and surfing my hometown: Venice, Sunset, Malibu, El Porto, El Segundo - staying Tahmus Rounds (mayor, South Coast Chapter SCC) and Peter Gaulke's.

June 9th: Huntington Beach area (the cliffs), staying at Joe Di Orio's mom's.

June 10th: San Onofre - visiting Cameron and Theresa Simbro

June 11th:  Swamis and San Diego area - eating at Swamis restaurant - visiting San Diego friends

June 12th: surf San Onofre again, back at Joe's mom's house for the night.

June 13th, 14th  and 15th (Father's Day): back at San Luis Obispo for Daphne's graduation for 3 days and nights - staying at - well I forget the name of the place we're staying:  Sycamore? Springs.  It supposed to be nice, it's expensive.  Johnny will be busy, but surfing in the morning at any of the local spots.

June 15th: Heading home to Sonoma County with Maritsa and anyone else who needs a ride.

June 16th to June to June 22nd for local surfing in Sonoma, Marin and Mendocino Counities.
Jun




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an Endless Summer trailer. Will you be posting some e-pics of the waves along the way? I hope so.

Anonymous said...

Check out this site: http://www.vagablogging.net/atom.xml

Anonymous said...

My brother Joe another member of swr has a literary post http://joelinker.wordpress.com/ that you should visit. His latest post shows him in a classic pose on a small wave at our home surf spot where we grew up - El Porto in 1969. Notice the glass, the head dip, and the crowd (or lack of crowd)>

Anonymous said...

my brothers, Joe and John are writers that I admire. I used to watch Joe surf at El Porto with his friends. The ocean has amazing memories and unending possiblities.

Johnny Linker / Joe DiOrio said...

I remember 42nd street used to be the hangout for El Segundo high kids. I went to St. Bernard's and we hung out farther south towards Playa Del Rey and Venice Beach. But 42nd street was closer to my home and I always loved the waves of 42nd street even though I didn't know many of the kids that went there, and it was incredible when I would find myself alone out there in glassy conditions with the sun going down and my brother, Joe, driving into the parking lot of El Porto, and picking me up. I would always try to wave him in. He was usually good for a quick body surf.

Anonymous said...

When I was in hi school at El Segundo, 42nd was the place to be, but better yet my sister, Shirley, had a small apartment right on 42nd and she used to let me stay there. "They paved Paradise, and put up a parking lot" Jodi Mitchell - The last time I went to 42nd street, there were meters at every imaginable parking space and it was full of people trying to find just the right spot to park and enjoy a day in the sun. Nothing like when I was growing up where you just parked anywhere for as long as you wanted. Those were the days, my friend....

Henry Stevens said...

I called 42nd St. home as a student at El Segundo High in the early 1960's. This place was heaven on a number of levels including the surfing. Words will never do that life justice.